Vegetable Jalfrezie is a medley of stir fry vegetables tossed in spices. It is a very popular dish in the punjabi dishes section of Indian restaurants. I personally like it because I can throw in a lot of veggies into this one and the vegetables are not lost in the gravy because they are not dipped in deep gravy but just coated with spices.
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup french beans ( cut 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup green pepper (capsicum)- cut lengthwise
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 carrot- chopped lengthwise
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 150 gms paneer ( Indian cottage cheese)-cut into rectangles
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- a pinch garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon kasoori methi
- julienned ginger from a 2 inch piece of ginger
- salt to taste
Drop the paneer rectangles in warm water and set aside.
Steam the vegetables(french beans,green peas and carrots together and green pepper and cabbage together) in a large pot of water. Alternatively you may steam them on a microwave. Green pepper and cabbage cook faster as compared to carrots, green peas and beans and hence the need to seperate them.
Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the onions till translucent.
Stir in the tomatoes and add turmeric powder, chilli powder, cumin powder,garam masala powder and salt. Cook till oil starts seperating from the paste.
Toss in the steamed veggies and paneer and blend everything nicely with the spice mixture. Simmer and cook for a minute and then add the ginger juliennes.
Crush the kasoori methi leaves between the palm of your hands and sprinkle them over.
Garnish with coriander and serve with phulkas/ rotis or rice.