I think all of us deserve that little break after a hectic marathon routine during the weekdays. I’m pretty sure most of you agree with me on this and would like to take it a li’l easy at times spending some time quietly, a time doing something enjoyable for ourselves and our loved ones.As far as food is concerened I look forward to something simple yet special on a weekend.
I have this special affinity towards chat items, maybe due to the fact that I was raised in Mumbai where the roadside versions of these chats were very popular. Even now when I go to Mumbai, my visit would be incomplete if I miss a visit to the local thelawala (roadside stall vendor) just to gorge on the lovely chat items. Sukha bhel is one such mouth watering chat made out of puffed rice, raw chopped vegetables and spices. It is very simple, prepared in less than ten minutes but nevertheless scrumptious.Since there is no cooking or detailing involved this makes for a perfect lazy weekend snack!
- Puffed Rice(Mamara)
- Thick Sev
- Fine Sev (for garnishing)
- Flat Puris (16-18)
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 Tomato finely chopped
- 1 small potato (boiled and mashed/grated)
- 1/2 Raw mango finely chopped
- cilantro/ coriander for garnish
- chopped green chillies (2-3)
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon chat masala
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Add the lime juice and garnish with cilantro and fine sev and voila your bhel is all set to be devoured
- • Puffed Rice(Mamara)
- • Thick Sev
- • Fine Sev (for garnishing)
- • Flat Puris (16-18)
- • 1 Onion finely chopped
- • 1 Tomato finely chopped
- • 1 small potato (boiled and mashed/grated)
- • 1/2 Raw mango finely chopped
- • cilantro/ coriander for garnish
- • chopped green chillies (2-3)
- • salt to taste
- • 1 teaspoon chat masala
- • 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Step 1 • Break the flat puris and mix the puffed rice and thick sev to make the basic bhel mix. Alternatively, you may choose to use the prepackaged bhel mix available in most Indian grocery stores.
- Step 2 • Add the finely chopped onion, tomato, raw mango and boiled potato to the bhel mix and mix the ingredients nicely.
- Step 3 • Add the chopped green chillies, red chilli powder, salt as per taste and a teaspoon of chat masala.
- Step 4 • Add the lime juice and garnish with cilantro and fine sev and voila your bhel is all set to be devoured
14 thoughts on “Sukha bhel”
oh my goodness..that looks delicious!! I have never combined potato and rice in the same recipe…thanks for this recipe!!
Looks so perfect Kavitha!! This is one of my favorite snacks, eithet made with murmura or poha!!
such a tempting bhel recipe. just awesome
That's my hubby's favorite and I make it quite often for him 🙂
Love to munch these anytime,crisp n delicious!!
Join me(Erivum Puliyum)
in the following ongoing events-
Show me Your HITS -Iron Rich Foods
EP Series-Ginger or Pepper Corns
Thats my favourite .. used to have it a lot in India..:)
lovely and crispy….bhel..new to ur space..it looks very interesting…
Wow looks so inviting
I loveeeeeee bhellll this tempts me to try it…
very crispy and tempting…I use to have this almost daily in the stall outside my school..old memories:)
Nice chat..I love chat, if somebody makes it for me! 😉 Am not that comfortable in mixing these goodies! DH will do that part better than me! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by n following my blog! Glad to follow you!
I too have a recipe like this in my drafts. Want a good photograph like this one!
So simple, and so good! This looks delicious!