Ragada pattice or Ragada patties is a delicious and popular Mumbai street food item made with crispy potato patties topped with the ragada- a white peas gravy and sweet and savory condiments. This popular chat item is known by different names with slight variations in other parts of India such as Aloo tiki chat. Having grown up in Mumbai, I have fond memories of watching the local thelawala (costermonger) make this as we devoured it in no time.
Here is a sneak peak on how I make Ragada patties watch video:
Soak the white peas overnight. Add turmeric, salt, chilly powder and coriander cumin powder and pressure cook on IP for 12 minutes. You can pressure cook on regular pressure cooker for 4 whistles. The ragada should be well cooked and soft with these basic spices.
For the patties, boil the potatoes and mash them. I use the pot in pot method and cook the potatoes along with the peas. You can cook them separately in pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles or microwave on high for 10 minutes or just boil them in a pan. Add bread crumbs, spices and make flat round patties with hands and shallow fry them on pan.
You may have noticed both ragada and patties have minimal ingredients and spices. That is how it s made typically to bring out the natural flavors along with the flavor of the chutneys along with raw onions and sev.
To assemble the ragada patties, add the patties in a plate. Pour the ragada on top followed by sweet chutney, spicy chutney, some garlic chutney powder (optional), crushed flat puri, raw onions, cilantro and sev and enjoy!
For the chutney recipes click here!
Here is the detailed recipe with ingredients:
Crispy potato patties topped with cooked white peas and sweet and spicy condiments
- For Ragada:
- • 2 cups dried white peas
- • ½ teaspoon turmeric
- • 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- • 1 teaspoon coriander cumin powder
- • Salt as per taste
- For patties:
- • 4 potatoes
- • ½ cup Bread crumbs
- • ½ tsp Chilli powder
- • ¼ tsp garam masala
- • Pinch of amchur powder
- • Cilantro leaves
- • Salt as per taste
- • Oil for shallow frying
- For Ragada Patties:
- • Ragada
- • Patties
- • Green chutney
- • Sweet chutney
- • ½ onion finely chopped
- • Crushed flat puris
- • Dry garlic chutney powder (optional)
- • Cilantro
- • Fine sev
- Step 1 1. Wash and soak the white peas overnight (about 8 hours) in Instant pot inner pot.
- Step 2 2. Add turmeric, salt, chilly powder and coriander- cumin powder
- Step 3 3. Place the trivet and place the pot with potatoes and on top
- Step 4 4. Set IP on pressure cook mode for 12 minutes.
- Step 5 5. Let natural pressure release.
- Step 6 6. Peel and mash the potatoes and add bread crumbs, salt, chilly powder, garam masala, amchur powder, cilantro and mix everything well. Grease hands with oil and make flat round patties with hands and dust with corn starch. Shallow fry the patties adding oil on a pan, till they turn golden brown on both sides.
- Step 7 7. To assemble the ragada patties, add the patties in a plate. Pour the ragada on top followed by sweet chutney, spicy chutney, some garlic chutney powder (optional), crushed flat puri, raw onions, cilantro and sev and enjoy!