Methi dal ( Fenugreek leaves with lentils) is a yummy dal packed with proteins, vitamins and dietary fiber. You can also use the same recipe and substitute spinach leaves for fenugreek leaves.
- 1 cup toor dal (split yellow pigeon peas)
- 1 cup finely chopped fenugreek leaves
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon grated green mango ( kachi kairi)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 green chiilies
- 2 red chilles
- 1 pinch asafetida
- 4 cups water
- salt to taste
Boil the water. Add turmeric powder,toor dal and cook till the dal is done. Keep this aside.
Heat oil in a saucepan and temper with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, green chillies, red chillies and asafetida.
Add the cooked dal and stir it well.
Add the grated ginger, green mango and salt and cook till the mixture boils nicely.
Serve hot like a soup or with steamed rice.