Quinoa Pulao made in instant pot is another favorite and quick meal ready under 30 minutes. Quinoa cooked with sautéed onions, garlic, spices and mixed veggies is a very flavorful, delicious and nutritious meal. This dish is suited for vegetarians, vegans and is gluten free!
Here are some fun facts about Quinoa:
- Quinoa is a nutrition rich seed and not a grain technically.
- It is one of the very few plant based foods considered as a complete protein offering all the essential amino acids in sufficient amounts.
- Quinoa thrives in diverse climatic conditions
- Last but not the least, I had never tasted or knew something like this existed till I landed in the US!
Here is how I make the Quinoa pulao:
Wash and chop the mixed vegetables. You can use any vegetables of your choice. I usually use bell peppers, zucchini, green peas, corn and carrot.
Finely chop the garlic and slice the onions.
Wash the quinoa and drain the water using a colander. It is a prerequisite to wash quinoa as it’s outer hull is covered with Saponin, a natural compound which protects it from birds and insects. This saponin is resin-like and forms a soapy solution in water. If you don’t wash this substance off, you will end up with strong bitter tasting quinoa which can leave a bad taste in the mouth. Another fun fact here is saponin is used to make detergents, toothpaste and antibiotics.
Rest is easy peasy, set IP on sauté mode and sauté onions and garlic. Add veggies, spices, quinoa, water and cook on rice mode in IP. Let natural pressure release and enjoy!
Below is the step by step recipe card with ingredients
Instant Pot Quinoa Pulao
Quinoa cooked with sautéed onions, garlic, spices an mixed veggies.. a quick, delicious and nutritious meal!
- • 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- • 2 cloves garlic
- • 1 onion
- • Mixed vegetables 2 cups- I used zucchini, bell peppers, peas, corn, carrots
- • 1 cup quinoa
- • 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- • ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- • Pinch of garam masala
- • ½ lemon
- • Cilantro
- • 2 tablespoons oil
- • Salt as per taste
- Step 1 • Wash and chop the veggies
- Step 2 • Finely chop garlic and slice onions
- Step 3 • Wash the quinoa and drain the water using a colander
- Step 4 • Set IP to sauté mode and heat oil
- Step 5 • Add cumin seeds, garlic, onions and sauté
- Step 6 • Add the mixed vegetables
- Step 7 • Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, garam masala and salt
- Step 8 • Add the washed quinoa and add water- 2 cups of water for 1 cup quinoa.
- Step 9 • Close IP and seal vent and set on rice mode. If you don’t have rice mode, select pressure cook on high pressure for 4 mins. You can do it the same way on stove top with the conventional pressure cooker-cook for 2-3 whistles in the regular pressure cooker.
- Step 10 • Once IP is done, let natural pressure release.
- Step 11 • Squeeze juice from ½ lemon and garnish with cilantro and enjoy!