OK so we are back to some basics in cooking. Making ghee from unsalted butter is absolutely easy. Plus the aroma, texture and the taste of homemade ghee is unparalleled . You can watch the making of Ghee from unsalted butter on my You tube channel. To read the steps to make ghee read on…
- I use Land O lakes unsalted butter. You can use any brand of unsalted butter.
- Add the butter sticks to a heavy bottomed pan over a medium flame on gas.
- Let the butter melt completely. Then start stirring the liquid itermittently.
- After few minutes you will find the fats and the milk solids separating from the liquid. Continue stirring.
- In a few more minutes the mixture would turn extremely foamy and the sides start turning golden brown. At this point you need to stay really alert .
- Once the foaming and bubbling has almost ceased turn off the gas. You don’t want to burn/ over brown your ghee beyond this point!
- I like to add 3-4 curry leaves to enhance the aroma.
- Allow the liquid to cool and filter the contents .
- Store in a clear container at room temperature.
Look at the texture and the taste is absolutely amazing!