Tips to avoid blackening/ retain color of guacamole:
- Do not skip the lime juice. It helps retain the green color of avocados.
- Leaving the avocado seeds inside helps retain the color for a considerable amount of time without turning it black.
- If exposed to air for a prolonged time, the guacamole turns dark due to oxidation. If you want to prepare and store guacamole ahead of time store it in an air tight container sealed with a cling wrap or saran wrap.
Below is the printable copy of the recipe
November 29, 2016
- • 3-4 large avocados
- • 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- • 1/2 tomato seeded and finely chopped
- • 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- • 1-2 green chillies/ jalapeño peppers
- • salt to taste
- • 1 tsp lime juice
- • Cilantro
- Step 1 1. In a bowl, mash the avocados with a fork until smooth. I have my mortar and pestle which I absolutely love for this purpose.
- Step 2 2. Stir in the onion, garlic and the lime juice. Do this immediately after the avocados are mashed. Mix well. Add the tomatoes, jalapeños and cilantro. Mix well.
- Step 3 3. Add salt to taste.
- Step 4 4. Enjoy with chips, salad, tacos or burritos!